Monday, October 26, 2009

Not for the faint of heart: Egg Autopsy

There is a very graphic image at the end of this post. It is not for the faint of heart. The good news is that we were very close. The bad news is that we were very close. Two of the chicks from this last hatch were completely formed. One actually pecked through the inner membrane of his egg. All seven of the final eggs had feathers, feet, beaks.

It was very sad to open these eggs and see how close we had come. I can't help but wonder if these two last two little guys would have made it if I would have cracked their eggs on Wednesday or Thursday. This exercise was necessary, though. It seems like humidity was our problem. Since I had filled all of the reservoirs built into the incubator, my next step will be to add a sponge (or three) at our next lockdown. I will also be purchasing a new temp and humidity gauge.

Our 6 new eggs should be on their way . . . My goal is that they not end up like this little guy:


chick

No comments:

Post a Comment