Friday, September 4, 2009

Our hatching eggs have arrived!

Big thanks to Jenifer at Blue Daze Farm for sending out our little future chicks so quickly! The package arrived at the post office this morning bright and early. I called to make sure they would keep it there--instead of driving it around in a hot mail truck all day--and went to pick it up. I loved the little drawing and warnings on the side, but they freaked the post office ladies out a little. They were positive they had heard noises from the box and that the chicks were going to peck their way out at any moment. :-)


Opening the box was like Christmas morning! The inside was filled with pink packing peanuts, which I carefully sifted through to unearth the three very carefully packaged farm-fresh eggs inside. Each egg was individually wrapped in bubble wrap and sealed in its own little baggy for the ride. It looks like all of this care did the job, too, because the shells at least are in perfect condition.


As most of my friends know, I have a hard time distinguishing between green and blue so I won't venture to guess at the color of the eggs, although it's definitely one or the other. :-) The eggs are on the small size but feel unusually heavy--maybe because they're fertile or just because they're organic? I know the supposedly cage-free eggs at the grocery store are often just like the commercial eggs in everything but name and color. We had fertile eggs as a child (my grandmother's neighbor raised chickens) but I haven't really been exposed to them as an adult. I'm so excited that Gus will get the opportunity to (hopefully) see these eggs hatch and raise the chicks. I'm looking forward to one day having access to real organic fresh eggs that we know come from the healthiest--and most humane--environment possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment