Sunday, September 6, 2009

Choosing an incubator for your fertile eggs

When your main criteria is cost--in that you don't want to spend more than $20--your incubator options narrow pretty quickly. In fact, you're left with only two choices: to buy a Chick-bator, pictured below, or to build your own.



Well, I decided that while the materials might be cheap, the time to gather and assemble them (and the shear will required to finish any project lately) would be better spent on building the coop we'll (hopefully) need in 6-8 weeks. I also had a coupon, which may have been the determining factor. :-)

According to the people at PoultryHelp.com I've made a horrible mistake. Not my first one, to be sure, but I'm still a little worried. After polling the nice folks hanging out on the boards at BackYardChickens.com, though, I think we do still have a fighting chance.

While I do think I should invest in a hygrometer to measure the humidity (and it looks like Home Depot has one for $2.98, which is within my budget), it seems like we have all of the components for success. Our setup may need a little more attention than an expensive incubator but I'm enjoying checking on the little darlings. Since I should be able to work from home almost every day for the next three weeks, I don't think we're quite doomed (yet).

UPDATE: I was actually able to find a free hygrometer on freecycle. It's only a couple of miles away--even closer than Home Depot--so I'm saving $2.98 plus tax as well as a little bit of gas. ;-) Just goes to show that you really don't have to spend a bundle to have fresh, organic food. A huge amount of effort, yes, but a lot of money, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment