Monday, September 7, 2009

Candling hatching eggs--or not so hatching eggs

The eggs went into the incubator on Friday, so this is really the absolute earliest that I would be able to see the beginning of any veining in my eggs. Like when I was trying to get pregnant with my daughter, I've totally jumped the gun. The fact that there isn't any veining visible when I shine my high powered flashlight through them doesn't mean they won't hatch--it just means I'm very impatient. :-)


Candling eggs doesn't actually require the use of a candle these days. Instead I used my handy-dandy maglight and made a "tunnel" out of my hand with the flashlight at one end and the egg at the other. At left is a picture of a 3 day old egg from the folks at BackYardChickens.com. What I'm looking for are the veins that indicate the chick is starting to grow. And I don't see them. Sigh.

So my goal for the next couple of days is going to be patience. It may be Friday before I see anything--but I think I should see something by then. I'll be very disappointed if we don't even make it out of the gate on our first try, but if that's the case we'll just try again. I'm commited to this whole endeavor--from the perspective of providing a great experience for my daughter, to not providing support of current commercial poultry practices, to having fresh, organic, truly locally grown food on our plates every day. So I guess we're in it for the long haul. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment