Sunday, October 4, 2009

Signs of life

I'm very proud of myself! I lasted a whole 4.5 days before candling this batch of eggs for the first time. I was rewarded with obvious veining on at least five eggs! :-) I am, of course, very, very happy.

What's even better is that there is at least one egg with veining in each of the three groups that I divided the eggs into. We have 14 eggs total, five of which are from 9/26 (and these should be 100% pure bred). The other nine are from 9/27 and were accidentally mixed up with eggs from a mixed pen. I separated these into two groups visually--four of the eggs seemed a little smaller and the shells not as opaque.

I'm seeing definite veining in one of the 9/26 eggs and two from each of the other groups. Now I would ideally like to hold out until Thursday or Friday to candle them again. It will take all of my willpower. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment