Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wow, can they fly!

These birds have personality, intelligence, shock value, blue eggs, are beautiful, weird and, wow, can they fly.


Alan Stanford, writing about the Araucana



Um, yeah. I found that out last night when I brought home our three new birds. No, I haven't given up on hatching--our lone little egg is still kicking away in the incubator as I type and has now been joined by seven other little hopefuls. In the meantime, though, we were offered and I accepted three Araucana from Jen, the lady who provided our first set of eggs. Our readers may recall this is set from which I dropped the lone surviving egg and killed it. (There was blood. It was awful.)

So now we've come full circle with more eggs from that original flock and three actual birds . . .



The larger girl is 14 months and was being picked on so Jen separated her from the flock. Since chickens are social animals and don't do well alone, she came with two three month old birds. One is definitely a girl. The other we're just calling Pat. When I brought them home, the other three month old made a break for it into the wild blue yonder (of the kitchen) so she's now Amelia. The 14 month old who was being bullied by the mean kids is Bertha. :-)



Last night they were being stalked by dogs, cats, and two year olds and weren't too happy about it. They were also very, very hungry. As soon as I figured the last part out, they were much happier. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment