Sunday, November 29, 2009

Recycling--it's for the birds!

After researching various options--and fantasizing about building my own coop--I decided to "build" a coop in the spirit of my original goal with this project. So we're recycling! :-) I stalked freecycle and craigslist for a free structure and ended up with this:



It's a plastic Little Tykes style playhouse, which came to us in pieces. After reassembling the parts, I realized there was only a half-door, so I covered the top of the door opening with a heavy duty rubber welcome mat that happened to be handy. I stapled chicken wire over the widows and added hook and eye closures on each one and the door as well.



This morning I moved our new trio--Amelia, Bertha, and Pat--into their new house. I'm on the lookout for a small shelf for them to nest in, but for the meantime I've put a banker's box in there. They seem to be enjoying themselves so far.



I also need to add in a perch and a light, but I think this is a good start . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment